When I got a bag of beautiful baby potatoes in my Mama Earth Organics order I wasn’t sure what I would do with them. But then my sister told me she was looking for a healthy potato salad and couldn’t find one she liked. So I set to work!
When I make a salad it needs to be two things. 1) It needs to be healthy. And 2) It needs to taste good. Unfortunately, I find many traditional and store-bought potato salads are lacking in both of these. But that isn’t the case with this healthy potato salad!
This one is loaded with vegetables and topped with a creamy dressing and fresh dill for a flavourful salad that’s also incredibly nutritious. It also happens to be egg-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan and uses no mayonnaise. Sounds too good to be true but it isn’t! So be sure to whip this potato salad up as an easy to take with you lunch or for a BBQ party, picnic or potluck. It’s great right away but I would say it’s even more flavourful when it’s had some time to marinate. So don’t be afraid to whip it up in advance and serve when needed!
And before I forget, if you want to get recipe-inspiring, fresh, organic produce like the potatoes used in this salad delivered right to your door, be sure to check out Mama Earth Organics. I’ll be teaming up with the wonderful folks at Mama Earth next week to give away a fruit and veggie-filled bin to one lucky reader! If you can’t wait until then, order yours now and mention you heard about them from Nourished Sweetly and you’ll get $15 off your first order!
Healthy Potato Salad
Inspired by I Love Vegan
- 5-1/2 cups potatoes, cubed (both baby and regular potatoes work)
- 1-1/2 cups bell peppers, finely chopped (red, yellow or orange)
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped dill pickles
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup pickle juice
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened soy milk
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan or sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Place cubed potatoes in a medium-sized pot and cover with water. Place on stove over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil (takes about 10 minutes). Reduce to a simmer and check every 2-3 minutes until potatoes are tender (should take 6-8 minutes). Remove from heat, strain potatoes through a colander and leave in colander to cool.
- In the meantime, combine all remaining salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Place all dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until combined.
- Once potatoes are cooled, add to salad ingredients and gently stir.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine. If you like your potato salad a little mushier like I do, dig into the potatoes with your stirring spoon to break them into smaller, more dressed pieces.
- Cover and place in fridge to cool completely until ready to serve.